In all my years of riding experience, riding in the rain has been more of a quality adventure. I have had some nice riding experience in the rain with some friends from Stalwart MC and Easy Riders MC. Busayo Said; it’s going to be a rainy ride. Was surprised the Easy Riders MC guys did not back out because of the dark cloud heavy rain which was fun with Bros B, Blow, K Solo and others.
High Visibility Rain jacket
There are a lot of things to take into account when riding a motorcycle in the rain, but one of the most important ones is that you have to dress appropriately. Having your normal jacket and trousers might not be enough. If there’s a light drizzle, it probably will not be a problem, but when there’s consistent rain, water (usually cold) will seep through your clothes onto your body, and that is not fun! Getting wet, or at least humid, when riding is distracting and very uncomfortable. It’s also when you will get a cold, or worse.
So whatever you do, make sure the clothing (jacket, trousers and boot covers) you use during a rain ride is rain proof.
This is the most important tip for riding in the rain, all other tips are more or less common sense. The clothing doesn't need to be a diver’s suit you use for deep sea diving, but it needs to keep the water away.
1. Wear proper rain gear, preferably Gore-Tex or equivalent. It needs to be able to breath but still not allow water to creep in. Make sure your helmet covers your face, since rain above 30 mph is going to hurt you.
2. Make sure your tires are correct for riding in the rain, in other words, do not go out riding in the rain with slick tires.
3. Watch the road. What used to be kind-of slippery is now very slippery. White lines on the roads will have become ice rinks, metal plates/manholes are super dangerous, avoid them like the plague.
4. Watch out for puddles. Yes, it can be fun riding through one, but since the water hides the surface you just don’t know what you are riding into. Can the puddle in fact be a 3 feet deep hole? Do you want to find out the hard way?
5. When riding and you see a coloured rainbow on the ground, watch it. It’s got nothing to do with the gay movement, chances are it’s oil.
6. When rain first starts after many days of dry weather, it’s when it’s the most dangerous since there’s a lot of oil and dirt on the road. Wait an hour or two for the rain to wash away the oil/dirt before riding since the road surfaces are at their slipperiest. If it’s just drizzle, then the road will remain slippery.
7. Railway crossing are to be taken as straight as possible. Remember the railway tracks are metal, and wet metal is slippery. Straighten your bike.
8. When you need to brake, apply more rear brake than normal. If your front wheel starts sliding you’re done for, if your rear wheel slides you can easily correct.
9. Do not brake strongly if possible.Brake gently. If you need to urgently apply your brakes, pump them so that you do not start aquaplaning.
10. Give yourself more space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Braking distances are much longer in the rain.
11. Relax when riding. Getting all cramped and bunched up is not good. First of all you will get tired real quickly and it is dangerous. Relaxed riding is much better.
12. Be visible. Rain makes it difficult for cars to see you. If you have high visibility clothing, now it is the time to put them on.
13. An obvious advice, but here it is anyway: reduce your speed! In many countries legally you need to reduce speed by some 10-20% when it rains, and there are good reasons for it.
14. Since we don’t have wipers on our helmets (well, maybe some do) you can easily spray something like Rain-X on the visor to help you with your visibility. Rain-X keeps the rain from the visor.
15. When lightning starts up, stop riding. Head for cover (don’t stop below a tree).
A biker should be prepared for a wet ride in the rainy season, riding in the rain will at times be necessary, and you should not stop riding just because it is raining. Relax and enjoy the ride. You are after all riding a motorcycle and that is fun.